04 June 2008

Are we really that lazy?

This item in today’s Independent perhaps should not have surprised me but it still annoys.

Apparently oranges are declining in popularity in Britain. This is not because we've gone off the taste, but because we find them too difficult to peel. It's pathetic but true. Compared with the easy-peel, lighter-weight satsuma and tangerine, the orange is considered too big, too messy and too inconvenient to denude with your human fingers. A spokesman for Fruitmann, importer and exporter of fruits, explained that consumers just don't feel it's worth the bother taking the skin off an orange

I am in full agreement with the writer of this article when he says “broaching an orange isn't a chore; it is, or should be, a pleasure, because it connects you with the complicated texture of the fruit world, and it repays your assault on its packaging by the freshness of its interior, the astringent fizz of zest, the tart sweetness of its secret, liquid heart.”

The not-wife and myself work full time so we would find it hard to be exponents of slow cooking etc (we don’t want to eat dinner at 1am!) but even we can find time for an orange! Don’t get me wrong. I love the convenience of our modern world – I like being able to use the computer to communicate (a positive blessing for recipients given that my handwriting would shame a four year old!) and so on – but some things are beyond the pale even for us! I wonder how long it will be that we Britons will become so lazy that we will demand core-less apples, clip-on ties and toilets that wipe our arses for us...

17 comments:

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Toilets That Wipe Arses= Bidet

:)

It's been done already!!!

elasticwaistbandlady said...

We live close to Texam A&M world renowned for the pioneering of agricultural hybrids. They brought us the Blood Orange and now I bet they're working on a Skinless Orange.

Both of these would make great horror film subjects.

ATTACK OF THE 90FT BLOOD ORANGE!!!

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I'll admit it, jams. I am that lazy person. I would prefer to eat a banana or some grapes because there's less effort involved.

We buy a variety called Clementine Cuties when they're in season. They're little tart oranges (tangerines?) that are super easy to peel (even Melody as a toddler could do it) and they taste perfect.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Do you want to know how really lazy society has gotten?

A Canadian blog friend reported seeing a man "walking" his chocolate Labrador by driving his big honkin SUV up and down the street while holding the leash and making the dog run alongside of him.

Here in Tejas, I regularly see people drive the length of their driveway simply to pick up their mail because they're too lazy to walk outside to pick it up. I'm serious about this.

jams o donnell said...

To be honest I like satsumas and tangerines too but FOr god sake how can someone be too lazy to peel an orange. Jesus EWBL those examples are so bloody ridiculous!

maryt/theteach said...

Jams, don't you have bidets in Britain? Talk about wiping arses... Funny post - I'd expect it (the laziness) in the USA but not Britain...

Hey it's Amy Benson said...

Wow! Crazy funny, but sadly true... I love oranges. I love to cut then into 8 little wedges and eat them. Fast & easy!

jams o donnell said...

Indeed we do but they are not widespread. I hd a sort of arm that comes across bearing paper though Teach!

Of course Amy. It's actually my preferred way too

sally in norfolk said...

sad but so true :-(

Anonymous said...

There is such a thing as an orange peeler which is essentially a slightly modified crochet hook that works extremely well.

I generally make four passes on a navel orange and the peel is as easy to remove as a banana.

Of course, we get a lot of practice in Florida with citrus fruit.

jams o donnell said...

Isn't it Sally! Too damned true!

THere you go Bryan, a simple solution to a non-problem!

Steve Bates said...

jams, on reading your post, I promptly walked to the kitchen, fetched an orange, peeled it and ate it. There are two secrets to quick peeling: one, have strong, thick thumbnails; two, choose small oranges. :)

jams o donnell said...

THere you go Steve. Simple isn't it! I wish my fellow countrymen would follow your lead

Anonymous said...

I rarely eat oranges because I have a slight contact allergy to citric acid that means that the amount of contact required to peel an orange makes my hands red raw. (I can get away with slicing lemons and limes, and peeling satsumas...!)

My partner used to let his Jack Russell loose to run up the road, then he would drive after him in the van on the way to work!

jams o donnell said...

Fair enough Gert. If the peel irritates then I would give them swerve too. I'm sure the Jack Russell enjoyed himself that way!

Anonymous said...

I don't know if I can find the energy to comment about this story.

jams o donnell said...

Haha Chris!