11 September 2012

One headline I've seen call it a fairytale in New York (as opposed to J P Donleavy's A Fairytale of New York or the Pogues song which misses off the indefinite article) But Andy Murray has become the first Briton in 76 years to win a Grand Slam tennis title.

I'm not a tennis fan - I don't find tennis to be very engaging. I don't for a second belittle the skills of the top players though.

Just when the country was about to have a huge sporting hangover following the succces of the Olympic and Paralympic games, Murry provides the perfect book end to a  great British sporting summer which started with Bradley Wiggins winning the Tour de France. Wiggins and Murray also added to the cheer by winning Olympic golds.

The rest of the year will be an anticlimax but choosing the BC Sports personality of the year will be a tough one. I thought Wiggins would be a shoo-in but it will be a bit closer now.I daresy it will be  toss up between Wiggins Murray and Mo Farah and perhaps David Weir and possibly Jessica Ennis and Sarah Storey.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

With Murray's mischieveous track record on these things I was expecting him to ask the largely English press, "So how long is it since an Englishman won a Grand Slam", but he seems to be too mature for such things now after his "Anyone but England" football banter was so badly received. I have a close friend who played tennis with Andy Murray when he was about 11 (Andy was about 11 that is, my fiend was then about 40). My friend boasts "Andy Murray has never beaten me", but by the time the lad was 11 he was getting very close and so my friend stopped playing him. Dear Andy Murray has an archetypal "dour" Scots manner with the press but he is a good and decent lad, I believe. Well done to him. But his brother Jamie remains the only member of the family to win Wimbledon (mixed doubles I think it was) as I am sure he will be reminded.

jams o donnell said...

I got the feelingnhe hd a dry sense of humour! Your friend did the right thing to stop playing him while undefeated.

Meanwhile Jamie can still rib him as can Jeremy Bates and John Lloyd. and Jonathan Marray of course. Hopefully that will end!

Anonymous said...

Indeed. When you roll off all these names of recent UK Wimbledon champs Andy just seems a complete Loser, doesn't he? Pathetic. He should be feeling very inadequate really :)

Until next summer, perhaps...

jams o donnell said...

Well maybe!