18 November 2007

An Iranian post that does not feature Ahmadinejad

I'm still trying to get over my disgust at the disgraceful sentence handed out by the Saudi judiciary to the Girl from Qatif (scroll down a few posts). Before I get as disgusted at the Iranian judiciary over the sentence of jail and lashes handed out to Iranian women's rights activist Delaram Ali, I thought I would post yet more you tube fodder. This time it's a couple of Anglo Iranian comedians and a wonderful singer.

First here's Darya Dadvar performing at the Iran Heritage Foundation Norouz gala in London earlier this year. Enjoy!




Here's some of Omid Djalili's stand up routine



Omid is British born. His family is Bah'ai which may well explain why he is here and not in Iran, given Iran's disgraceful treatment of this religion.

Here's Shappi Khorsandi



Her father was a comedian too. He lampooned Khomeni in 1985 and was given a choice of leaving Iran and living or staying and and running the risk of one of the many death threats coming true...

Watch this space for me raving over Marjane Satrapi's Persepolis, one of the best graphic novels ever written

4 comments:

SnoopyTheGoon said...

Good stuff all. Thanks.

Roland Dodds said...

Very nice. I especially like the Darya Dadvar track. With the Iranian regime constantly crushing freedom and respect for the individual within their land, it is nice to remember that it is still a beautiful culture with an essential tradition.

jams o donnell said...

Glad you like the clips Snoopy. Omid Djalili now has a prime time comedy show. Personally I think he shuld stick to stand up. That's what he does best.

I only came across the clip by chances and what a case, nay a whole cellar, of serendipity! I always knew Iran had a deep and rich culture but it was only a few years ago that I began to discover ho deep and how rich. I can thank Redwine for that introduction.

Anonymous said...

Yes, rich is the operative word. Don't forget that the wealthy Iranians who made a mint under the brutal and repressive regime of the Shah couldn't give two hoots about the poverty of the sincere, believing Muslim Iranians, who were mocked and held with contempt, while the rich elite flew to Paris to get their hair cut and lived off US dollars. Your support for them shows where your principles lie.