23 May 2006

Iranian Art - Elahe Heidari

from kargah.com

Two years ago I knew little about Iranian culture. My thanks go out to Redwine for drawing my attention to the depth of quality of Iranian art, in particular the work of Elahe Heidari and and Minoo Emami (more on Minoo in a later post). Elahe lives and works in Tehran and has exhibited extensivley in Iran and more recently has contributed to group exhibitions in India and Portugal.

From Kargah.com

When I first saw her work I was taken by its sheer power in particular her protrayal of women - you will often see that the mouths and the eyes are indistinct. The reason for this seems obvious to me but the frequent use of blue in her work does n0t appear to symbolise despair.


On a wall in Romford

I could go on at great length but suffice it to say that I love Elahe's work and I have taken every opportunity to draw people's attention to it( even using her paintings as wallpaper on my work computer - given that my monitor is quite large given the fact that my eyesight is crap they do get noticed!) . It is heartening to that most are deeply impressed and more than a few feel as strongly about her work as I do.

More examples of her work can be found at Kargah and the Gallery Etemad. I would strongly advise browsing the kargah site at length as it is a treasure trove of fine art.

5 comments:

? said...

This is a good place for creative ideas. Thanks!

jams o donnell said...

You're welcome! I think there is something powerful about her work. I will post something about another Iranian artist I love, Minoo Emami

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Captivating artwork. Ordinarily, I'm not fond of abstract or contemporary art but this definitely appeals to the eye.

Frank Partisan said...

Really good work.

Agnes said...

No, not symbolic despair. If you have a closer look at the whole "Blue women" series you will see that it is not symbolic at all. Her use of blue has a specific meaning, die in the agony of finding out what. Excellent painter, she deserves (so do many you can see on the Kargah) a wider audience.