02 July 2008

Better late than never

George W Bush has signed a bill removing Nelson Mandela and ANC party members from the US terror watch list. Although members of the ANC could travel to the United Nations headquarters in New York they could not go elsewhere in the United States without a waiver from the secretary of state.


US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice had called the restrictions a "rather embarrassing matter that I still have to waive in my own counterpart, the foreign minister of South Africa, not to mention the great leader Nelson Mandela."

11 comments:

CherryPie said...

That news brought a smile to my face :-)

Anonymous said...

At last! As far as I'm aware, the ANC never carried out any acts of terrorism against the U.S. Wonder why this organization ended up on that list.

The Lone Beader® said...

That is good news!

Frank Partisan said...

The terrorist list is a sham. It doesn't differentiate between what is called a belligerant force and an actual terrorist.

If you control land and have military rank, you should be dealt with differently than two guys at a coffeeshop who get a funny idea,

Regards.

jams o donnell said...

Thanks everyone. To be honest it just struck me as daft for Mandela to have to get a waiver to enter the USA.

James Higham said...

Is Dubya on that list himself?

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Amazing they kept the restrictions in place for so long.

Anonymous said...

I was once banned from entering the USSR...

jams o donnell said...

I'd be much surprised James!

I agree Welshcakes, it's pretty daft.

Good grief how did you manage that Mutley?

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Yes, that's all fine and well but how long must Cat Stevens remain on the list? Will the US never be privy to a Cat Stevens Tour again? That would be such a shame seeing as how I know all the words to Peace Train!

jams o donnell said...

I hope it's soon. Don't forget Moon Shadow and Can't kep it in!