19 November 2011

Proof positive of the need for good handwriting

When I started secondary school my first English teacher had one over riding maxim, to wit, "Poor handwriting is an insult to the reader". Although I can write with both hands my handwriting is uniformly atrocious. In the eyes of my first English teacher I must have been the rudest child she had ever taught!

These days, like most people, I write less and less relying instead on computers and phones to communicate (and yes my keyboard skills are rotten!) My rotten handwriting has deteriorated to the point where I often can't read it myself.

But as the Huffington Post confirms there is one area where legible handwriting is essential: bank robberies.

This was illustrated perfectly by what police said was a man's failed attempt to rob a bank in Wheeling, West Virginia. The local tv station, WTOV, reported that detectives said a "white, scruffy-looking man" handed a teller a note demanding money, but the teller couldn't tell what the note said. When she handed the would-be robber his note back, he got frustrated and walked out, authorities said.

The robber didn't get away with any cash, but police are still hoping to track him down.

Well there you have it. That's my career as a bank robber thwarted at the first turn

6 comments:

CherryPie said...

A good fountain pen will sort out anyone's handwriting. You have to write more slowly with one and that makes writing more legible ;-)

jams o donnell said...

I have a modest fountain pen collection (about 100 pens) and no my fountain pens don't help me!

Claude said...

Very frustrating. I was so totally depending on your visit at the bank...

susan said...

That was a good one.

Did you read the story about the bank robber who wrote demands on the back of an envelope that had his name and address on the front?

Unknown said...

Ha! That *is* a good one.

As a child growing up in the U.S. public school system, I had to learn to write in cursive. I hated it and as soon as I had the freedom, created my own script, which is mostly printing with a few letters attached, depending on how fast I am writing.

I've discovered that if I want to journal or experiment with creative writing, I am much more likely to be inspired if I use a notebook and a fine-point sharpie pen. For all other intents and purposes, I type - the best skill I learned in high school!

jams o donnell said...

Well maybe one raid just for you Claude!

I've heard of that one Susan. I do love inept crime!

We had to learn a similar type of handwriting. I bloody hated it too Gina. One day I will learn to type properly!