22 January 2009

Passion, Precision, Pint - Holding up the league

I’ve often wondered which team is the strongest football team in England? Not the likes of Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea etc but the one which is at the rock bottom of the English football hierarchy? For some reason I never bothered looking for the answer until a couple of days ago and, quite surprisingly, it was easy to find.

The English Football League system consists of 24 tiers starting with the Premiership, going down through the Football League Championship then the League divisions, the Conferences and so on down to tier 24 which is represented by just one league division – the Bristol Downs Football League Division 4

According to the BBC the team propping up division 4 is Tebby AFC reserves.

It is but a few years’ work to work up through the four division of the Bristol Downs league, the six divisions of the Bristol and District league, the two divisions of the Bristol Premier combination, the Gloucestershire County League, the two divisions of the Toolstation Western Football League, the British Gas Southern leagues, the Conference leagues and finally Divisions 2,1 and Championship then the Premiership....

With a fair wind Tebby AFC reserves could be in Europe by the time I’m 70....

In the meantime don’t forget Tebby’s mantra “Passion, Precision, Pint” It’s what the game is really about.

4 comments:

Kay Dennison said...

LOL!! Indeed!!! I love football (soccer) -- my ex husband was a ref and my son (keeper) and my daughter (midfield) both played from kindergarten to college. It's a great sport!!! And yeah, the pint(s) afterward was pretty good, too!

Nevin said...

I am a Galatasaray fan myself... :) I will never forget the euphoria I felt after the the win against Arsenal in the UEFA cup...

We need to get back in the game again... I miss that feeling... :) :)

Steve Bates said...

The pint for me, thank you!

I often forget that Houston, Texas has an MLS club, the Dynamo, and that they won the MLS Cup in 2006 and 2007. No, I've never seen them play, which is a shame; it's a much more entertaining game than American football. (Any local friends who see that I've said that will be horrified, but hey, it's true.) Why "Dynamo"? I haven't a clue!

jams o donnell said...

It certainly is a fun sport Kay. I am pleased that teh US national team is pretty good these days

A great feeling Nevin.. I'm a West Ham fan myself

I agree Steve, soccer is a far more intersting game than American Football. I was advised by a Canadian colleague to look at it as a chess game but then I remembered how boring vchess is to watch too! Perhamps Houston wanted to emulate an eastern europena side like Dinamo Kiev!