10 January 2008

Canadian Sandra Bergen has successfully sued the drug dealer who sold her the crystal methamphetamine that put her in a coma. Ms Bergen suffered a heart attack and spent 11 days in a coma after taking the drug.

Ms Bergen said that dealer Clinton Davey had known the drug was highly addictive and dangerous but sold it to make money. The judge rejected his defence that Ms Bergen had taken the drug voluntarily.

"I sued him for negligence... for selling me drugs and getting me hooked when I was vulnerable," said Ms Bergen. She hoped her case would inspire others to sue drug dealers. "I think it's a different way to hit drug dealers financially and that's where it will really hurt them," she told CTV news.

In her statement of claim, she said he "knew the drug was highly addictive" and that his dealing was not only "for the purpose of making money but was also for the purpose of intentionally inflicting physical and mental suffering" on her. In his defence, Mr Davey had argued that Ms Bergen "voluntarily consumed illegal drugs, thus contributing to her own condition. She assumed the risks," he said.

Ms Bergen became addicted to drugs when she was 18, CTV news said. She overdosed in 2004 in the province of Saskatchewan shortly before her 20th birthday. In hospital she was hooked up to a respirator. She said she suffered lung, heart, kidney and liver failure and may never be able to have children. She said she has since stopped taking drugs.

There is something a bit surreal about this sort of lawsuit. I suppose I could go on about her not deserving any award since she did make the choice to take the Crystal meth – even if she was vulnerable at the time. While I doubt many dealers will worry unduly at the prospect of a lawsuit - I would imagine a bullet in the head from a rival dealer may be a more pressing occupational hazard.....

8 comments:

Roland Dodds said...

Suing a drug dealer? Now I have heard it all. Something tells me every lawsuit in the world won’t make the drug problem go away, especially since the plaintiff would have likely went to another dealer to score if she had been denied to begin with.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Like what Roland said above me what's a dealer supposed to do? If they turn someone away will they get sued for that too? Many bars have when they refuse drink to a patron.

Just another nail in the self-responsibility coffin.

Anonymous said...

She took the meth willingly, she knew it was addictive and here she goes and sues the dealer for getting her hooked while in a state of depression? She'd been taking drugs since 13!!! Look in the mirror kid, you're the problem. Quit blaming others.

I'm glad she got out of the coma but the only one to blame here is yourself (her).

jams o donnell said...

I agre with you all. The dealer is scum but she made the choice. It is right of course to ensure resources are available for drug treatment though.

SnoopyTheGoon said...

Yep, surreal would be the word. This is the world we live in...

jams o donnell said...

Indeed Snoopy, indeed!

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I just saw that the ACLU is declaring that sex in a PUBLIC bathroom should be considered PRIVATE.

What the flying fart on a cracker is that all about??!!?

I guess my 10 year old son will be accompanying me to the ladies restroom for the rest of his life since I don't want him to stumble upon "private" sex in a public toilet. :( Man, this pisses me off.

jams o donnell said...

Hmm now that is something I don't hold with. As far as I am concerned that is a public place... maybe not quite as public as in the middle of a Houston street but a public place.

ACLU, like other similar organisations do take on some unpopular things. As far as I am concerned they are on a hiding to nothing on this one!