The ever wonderful Dull Men's Club have an excellent alternative to tomorrow'sApocalypse in the form of a celebration of underdogs: unsung heroes such Robinson Crusoe’s Man Friday and Sherlock Holmes' Dr. Watson.
It also celebrates those who “came from behind” to make names for themselves. The Tortise and the Hare
Other examples of underdogs are:
• David in the Bible who conquered Goliath
• Robert the Bruce, whose victorious army was outnumbered three to one at the Battle of Bannockburn in 1314 (not to be confused with William Wallace of “Braveheart” fame)
• U.S. President Harry Truman
• Boxer James "Buster" Johnson, who defeated Mike Tyson in 1990
• Rocky Balboa of the “Rocky” film franchise
• The hapless cat in the "Tom and Jerry" cartoons.