21 September 2006

New Kindertransport Memorial at Liverpool Street Station

Hope Square, outside Liverpool Street Station


Some time ago I posted an item about the Kindertransport memorial. Sadly the orignial memorial, which consisted of a statue of a girl and a transparent case containing memorabilia the children brought with them, had to be taken down after the memorabilia started to deteriorate.



It is good to see that a new statue is being constructed. Currently behind hoardings at present it consists of several bronze statues depicting children. It is not easy to get a good photograph througn the one small glass window but it does look like an excellent replacement, I look forward to its unveiling after which I will get better pictures


3 comments:

jams o donnell said...

And there are far more to photograph too! I love the idea that I will get to pass this memorial twice every workday.

jams o donnell said...

I found that utterly infuriating too. Luckily the new one is less easy to sit on/ DOesnt stop ignorant wankers leaving their rubbish on the monument.

Gerwise said...

I was evacuated from that station with my entire school, on Sept.1 1939.
Gerry
Maryland, USA