09 March 2009

Woman's greatest liberation

According to the Independent(and plenty of other sources) The Vatican celebrated International Women’s Day by nominating what it considers to be the single greatest advance for womankind.. Unsurprisingly it isn't the Pill. It isn't suffrage or anything to do with equal opportunities - it is of course, the washing machine.

This appliance had done more for the women’s liberation movement than the contraceptive pill or working outside the home, said the the official Vatican newspaper, Osservatore Romano.“In the 20th century, what contributed most to the emancipation of Western women?” questioned the article. “The debate is still open. Some say it was the pill, others the liberalisation of abortion, or being able to work outside the home. Others go even further: the washing machine.”

The article is entitled, “The washing machine and the emancipation of women: put in the powder, close the lid and relax”, taking its name from the Washy Talky, the Electrolux bilingual-talking washing-machine launched in India seven years ago.

Personally I think that the Vatican is spot on! Not only does the washing machine bring up cassocks and vestments a treat, it gives women more time to do other things. Surely Bishop Eamonn Casey and many other priests would not have had the opportunity to create priestlets if their clandestine partners were down at the stream with a rock and some lye....

12 comments:

Maddy said...

Hah! My son in law pointed out that it was international women's day yesterday, much to our surprise [I'd have missed it completely otherwise as I was buried in laundry and other trivial domestic duties now that I have 7 people under my watchful care!]

I pointed out to him, that out here in the good old US of A it was also Daylight Savings day, i.e. an hour less of free time!

However, since I didn't have to go down to the local creek with a rock I suppose I should really stop moaning.
Cheers

Anonymous said...

The previous blog post I read before this was http://failblog.org/2009/03/09/laundry-win/

The juxtaposition is...interesting.

Claude said...

Women are liberated when they stop paying attention to what the other sex (young, old, priests, laymen, single, married, rich, poor, educated, unlearned, in any country, in any language) is saying about them.

What do men really know about women? And the mystery deepens with every century of life, and every relationship...

Anonymous said...

Hi friend.. Interesting post.. Nice blog with great stuffs.. Keep up the good work.. Do visit my blog and post your comments.. Take care.. Cheers mate!!!

Nevin said...

An interesting take on why women were liberated? I would have never thought of the Washing Machine I must say... :)

I believe education, education, education is the reason why women are empowered today. Education and self confidence are the 2 main tools every women needs...

That is exactly what I am passing on to my daughter.. :)

Knowledge is power...

jams o donnell said...

Yikes Maddy seven people.. that's a lot of work under abny circumstance. At least it's not down he creek with the rock and the laundry!

What a strange juxtaposition Gert!

There is a lot in what you say Claudia. I believe we would be far better off under a Menarchy rather than the current Dicktatorship!

Interesting blog Sri. I will be visiting

I agree wholeheartedly Nevin although knowledge may not be power - it does empower though

Ardent said...

I agree with Claudia whole heartedly.

Also, when are they going to invent a device to do the ironing!
:))))

Claude said...

Ardent - RE: Ironing. I heard that a "male robot" was in the work.:))))

jams o donnell said...

Come on Ardent! There isn't enough technology in the world to invent something like that!

A MALE ROBOT Claudia? Do you really want an automaton that will sit around scratching its balls and watching telly all day!

James Higham said...

Right on!

Steve Bates said...

Cassocks and vestments and albs, oh my! Cassocks and vestments and albs, oh my!

Whoever wrote the memo may not have a screw loose, but that nut needs a washer of his own, especially if he thinks there's anything liberating for a woman about dealing with a man's dirty laundry.

(Aside: I remember, when I was in college, visiting the women's dorm in which my girlfriend lived, and noting that the floor lobby had about a dozen steam irons sitting around. My remark to my s.o. was "Too many irons in the foyer!")

Anonymous said...

Yes... I thank God every day for the invention of the washing machine.

Whenever I hear about a little girl having been put through the horror of circumcision or think of women denied the right to birth control, I run down to the basement and hug my washing machine...