10 January 2012

Truly They are Gods Among the Dull!

As a fervent supporter of the Dull Men's Club... Hold on fervent is the wrong word, I mean I have a passing interest in dull things but I must doff my cap to those sterling men and women who are participating in this contest.

The world Watching Paint Dry competition is proving to be a massive hit according to the Metro attracting participants from around the world... Well I say a massive hit, what I mean is that a number of the more hardcore among we dullards have participated so far.

Those looking to compete in the championships must send in a photo of themselves watching paint dry and state the longest time they’ve managed to stare at a wall of drying paint without looking away.
They will also need to tell organisers what their favourite colour is and why.
One contestant that has entered the fray is Bence Baksa from Hungary who  has reportedly watched paint drying for five hours straight.


Paul Bailey from Wiltshire has also taken on the challenge and says his favourite paint colour is magnolia.


A spokeswoman for competition organisers LocalTraders.com, which also operates in Holland, Sweden and Finland, said she was delighted at how well received the contest has been.  'We’ve all heard the phrase "I’d rather watch paint dry" and so we have decided the time has come to give people the chance to do so, for as long as they can manage,' she said. 'We’re pleased that paint watchers from across the world have put themselves forward for the competition and nominations from as far away as India and the US make give it a real international flavour.

'Paint is used throughout the world so I suppose in a way it’s no surprise we’ve had foreign entrants willing to challenge some of Britain’s best paint watchers.'



Submissions for the championships must be made by January 27. A shortlist will then be drawn up and those contestants will be invited to attend an ultimate final in front of media at a location in central England.
The final stare down will see six paint watchers from around the world fight it out for the international title and an iPad.

For more information or to enter the competition, visit http://www.localtraders.com/watching-paint-dry-championships.php





Truly these men and perhaps women (although most women, I would imagine, are far too sensible to waste their time like this) are the the cutting edge of dullness. As boring and unadventurous as I am, I am not fit to talk about bus spotting with these pioneers who are pushing (gently_ at the grey barriers of the quotidian!


9 comments:

susan said...

There's no reason this wouldn't be an excellent meditation technique.

Anonymous said...

I think I could muster testimonials from a hundred or so students who would certify that watching paint dry is an exciting day out compared to listening to me teach. I would apply to join the Dull Club but at present my priority is to complete my application for the Monotonous Mob

jams o donnell said...

A beige mandala Susan!

Ah Andrew I am glad you are keeping up a noble tradition of crushing the spirits of studenthood. Andrew I salute you!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

What an excellent idea!

jams o donnell said...

And still better than most tv shows!

Claude said...

If only I could get one of my sons to paint my badly tattered walls, I would gladly sit in a chair, for hours and hours, watching the paint dry. I wouldn't think it dull...It would be gloriously exciting!

jams o donnell said...

Claude go for it. that Ipad is yours for the taking!

SnoopyTheGoon said...

"more hardcore among we dullards"

I would say "hardcore" doesn't fit the case. Should be "more limp-wristed" or something ;-)

Saying this, I guess I would do well in a competition of this kind.

jams o donnell said...

They are the Iron men of dullards mon ami. Oh well perhaps the plasterboard men!