30 September 2007

Can Hamilton do it?

Lewis Hamilton took a big step towards becoming the first person to win the Formula one title in their rookie year by winning today’s Japanese Grand Prix in appalling conditions. Hamilton leads team mate Alonso by 12 points with two remaining races in China and Brazil. Kimi Raikkonnen is 17 points behind Hamilton in third place

Hamilton's performance was as controlled and impressive and it means he will win the championship in China next weekend if he beats Alonso, or loses no more than a point to him. The 22-year-old survived a spin following a collision with Robert Kubica. "It was awful conditions and, in the end, I was fortunate I was able to finish the race after my collision with Robert," said Hamilton "When you're behind, and especially in those conditions, it is the responsibility of the car behind to be extra careful and I felt that it was a risk Robert needn't have taken. Still, I got through it and was able to see it home. It felt like the longest race of my life, what with the safety car coming on twice and the conditions being so difficult, but I'm ecstatic to get the victory."

2 comments:

The Lone Beader® said...

Cool. I'd like to go to a Formula One race sometime... :)

jams o donnell said...

To be honest watching motor racing on tv is better than being at the circuits. the not-wife's brother is an amateur racing driver. He does a type of drag racing called bracket racing and is quite successful.