03 September 2007

MacGonagall tackles a political issue of the day

I am utterly grateful to MacGonagall Online and its “Gem of the day” service which delivers a poem by William Topaz to my inbox every morning. Today’s offering is “Women’s Suffrage” in which he shows his whole-hearted support for the extension of the vote to women. Sadly his laudable sentiments are undermined by his ineptitude as a poet Here is an extract for your delight and delectation:

Fellow men! why should the lords try to despise
And prohibit women from having the benefit of the parliamentary Franchise ?
When they pay the same taxes as you and me,
I consider they ought to have the same liberty.

And I consider if they are not allowed the same liberty,
From taxation every one of them should be set free;
And if they are not, it is really very unfair,
And an act of injustice I most solemnly declare....

....And that, in my opinion, is really very unjust;
But the time is not far distant, I most earnestly trust,
When women will have a parliamentary vote,
And many of them, I hope, will wear a better petticoat.

And I hope that God will aid them in this enterprise,
And enable them to obtain the parliamentary Franchise;
And rally together, and make a bold stand,
And demand the parliamentary Franchise throughout Scotland....


...Therefore go on brave women! and never fear,
Although your case may seem dark and drear,
And put your trust in God, for He is strong;
And ye will gain the parliamentary Franchise before very long.

Wonderful stuff! The world would have been a poorer place if William Topaz MacGonagall had not existed.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"And put your trust in God, for He is strong"

That line might have raised a few hackles amongst the suffragettes!

jams o donnell said...

THat's if they weren't falling about laughing at the rest of the poem!

elasticwaistbandlady said...

That's why his middle name is Topaz. He's only semi-precious!

jams o donnell said...

AWell he may only be topaz but I will always think of him as a rough diamond!

Steve Bates said...

There's a certain awful fascination that leads me to read every one of his works you post, even though I know I'll end up shaking my head by the end of the first quatrain. I wonder if that means I'm a masochist. I wonder if that means you're... oh, never mind! :-)

jams o donnell said...

Err I think the expression is "connoisseur of awfulness" Steve!