16 July 2007

Boris throws his hat into the ring

Following considerable speculation (and some mirth) Boris Johnson (featured left with his press secretary and campaign coordinator) has confirmed that he will seek to become the Tory candidate for London mayor. If selected he will face Ken Livingstone who is looking for a third term as mayor

Mr Johnson, speaking to reporters described London as "Here we are, in one of the most depressed towns in Southern England, a place that is arguably too full of drugs, obesity, underachievement and Labour MPs.". Sorry that was him writing about Portsmouth in April.. What he said actually said that it was "fantastic city" and that being mayor would be a "wonderful chance to serve London".

He added: "I have been overwhelmed by the support I have received from so many people across London.London is an outstandingly varied and beautiful place and it deserves a proper debate. I want to bring fresh ideas to the capital and offer a new direction for Londoners, besides if you vote Tory it will cause your wife to have bigger breasts and increase your chances of owning a BMW M3.” (well he didn't say that last thing then but, what the hell!)

Private Eye editor Ian Hislop, with whom the Johnson has appeared on Have I Got News For You, said: "It's good news for comedy, if not for London. "I just think it'll make life much more interesting."

I must admit I find Johnson occasionally funny but most of the time I just want to grasp him warmly by the throat. I don’t care for Livingstone, I have never have cared for him but I don’t think he’ll worry too much from a Johnson challenge.

4 comments:

elasticwaistbandlady said...

He threw his hat into the ring??!!? Was it a bunny hat to match his comely campaign staff?

jams o donnell said...

LOL I daresay he would find some way to do it tactlessly!

Anonymous said...

Boris throws his hat into the ring... and misses.

D'oh!

jams o donnell said...

LOL Roger. We shall see if people nominate him. They are doing their nomination by a primary. Perhaps I will vote for the most idiotic tory as candidate