28 July 2007

Photo hunt - the answer

My entry for this Saturday's photo hunt has caused some head scratching (and there's not a flea to be seen!). Most people thought it was plant related, given my predilection for plants and macro shots.



The photo is of a young flower head of the Globe Thistle aka Echinops Ritro. I did crop the image and I played around a little with the colour and brightness to make it seem a little crystalline.

I am not sure where it grows in the wild - it isn't a native plant - but it throws up a lot of flower spikes which, when young, look like a mediaeval weapon. As it grows it turns into a metallic blue and is covered in scores of tiny flowers.




It is a magnet for bees as you will see in future posts.

7 comments:

jmb said...

Thank goodness I came back to see this. Indeed we were all scratching our heads.

Anonymous said...

LOL! I really have to go back to your blog because I am just so curious!

Thanks for sharing that wonderful photo and for making us churn wonderful and creative ideas.

:)

jams o donnell said...

LOL I hopeyou weren't disappointed!

elasticwaistbandlady said...

It's purdy and reminds me of a fireworks burst.

I know we've had this conversation before, but did you tell me this is where echinacea comes from?

Shaz said...

I love your macro shots x x

jams o donnell said...

Thanks Shaz, glad you like them

jams o donnell said...

Ah ewbl, the echinacea is a very different flower. Very attractive though. I myst grow some next year - if there's room, that is!