09 July 2007

Okay it was the Mixed Doubles but..

Jamie Murray became the first Briton for 20 years to win a senior title at Wimbledon. He and Serbian Jelena Jankovic took the mixed doubles title. Murray became the first Briton to do so since Jeremy Bates and Jo Durie won the title in 1987. They beat Jonas Bjorkman of Sweden and Australian Alicia Molik 6-4 3-6 6-1.


An elated Murray said: "I don't know if it's sunk in, but it feels pretty good." Jankovic, who is ranked number three in the world as a singles player said "It's really an incredible feeling for me to be there and to hold the trophy... It's something that I always dreamed of, and I would love one day to have that feeling with the singles trophy."

Congratulations to both of them on their win although I can only imagine Jamie's brother was frustrated at missing Wimbledon himself





4 comments:

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I enjoy smacking things around with my racquet, but that doesn't mean that I like tennis.

jams o donnell said...

I can't say I'm a huge tennis fan. I was never any good at it either!

Anonymous said...

I hate tennis with a passion, but I was very amused to see Jamie Murray's win, since his brother is so arrogant!

jams o donnell said...

There is that. If I was Andy I would be at thesame time irked and pleased