09 January 2011

Wherein Jams O'Donnell rediscovers the joys of plaque-free hair

In addition to the psoriasis on my body, I am afflicted with the self same condition on my scalp - to the extent that my my shoulders looked more like pistes thanks to the hideous amounts of plaque flakes (Psoriasis plaque is like dandruff if dandruff did anabolic steroids and spent eight hours a day at the gym). Not only was it unsightly it was a rather embarrassing to have to brush the damned stuff off my clothes every few minutes

At long last I have been prescribed something that really works - a gel called Xamiol. It has killed the plaque dead. It's a bit of a bugger to wash out but that's a small price to pay.

The methotrextate has played its part of course but the Xamiol seems to have given the scalp psoriasis the coup de grace. Now to see if I can get it on a repeat prescription.

It's just a well I have invested in a prepaid prescription card. Getting Methotrexate, Folic acid, Dovobet (and hopefully now Xamiol) every month with Beclomethasone and paroxetine every other month comes to nearly £450 a year. I will get the lot for just over £100. I shudder to think wht this lot would have cost if I lived in the US of A

14 comments:

nursemyra said...

I've never hear of a pre-paid prescription card. Sounds like a good deal.

jams o donnell said...

It certainly will make my prescription costs a hell of a lot cheaper

CherryPie said...

What a great discovery, I am glad it works for you :-)

Anonymous said...

Must be a bind. Is there a prospect of the methotrexate etc more or less fixing it eventually, or do you just have to keep taking the stuff forever? Not a condition I know anything about (fortunately). Is its severity stress related?

susan said...

Money for medication is only one of the nasty tricks of American medicine. Another weird one is that hospitals can't legally turn anyone away with the result that someone seriously ill or injured can spend months in hospital but if they have no insurance, they have no access to medication or therapy when they're released.

I've stood in line, prescription card in hand, behind people paying hundreds for their medicine.

I'm very glad you're feeling some relief from that nasty condition.

jams o donnell said...

It has been a real blessing Cherie

I hope I can come off the stuff H. It ain't much fun even in the low doses I take

Paying for prescriptions is a pain but I am glad we have a flat fe for all medications. You would pay the same for a course of drugs that cost 1p or £1,000. Far batter than having to pay the real price in my view

SnoopyTheGoon said...

They say that one week of sunbathing at the Dead Sea greatly alleviates the psoriasis issues.

Anonymous said...

In the light of what Snoopy says, do you think a week's trip to the Dead Sea would be covered by your prepayment certificate Jams? Might save the NHS money in the long term?

Liz Hinds said...

You need to come and live in Wales, jams.

jams o donnell said...

An excellent idea Snoop but will my heart survive the sight of those Israeli beauties.. I remember the Holy Land ad!


If only H!


Ah Liz another land of free scrips.. lucky you!

SnoopyTheGoon said...

Er... beauties on Dead Sea shores are rather rare. They normally stick to Med and Red coasts.

jams o donnell said...

Well that's a severe beating averted!

ipanema said...

that's costly indeed. but great help from the prescription card. i hope we have one like that here.

i hope u get well soon with this affliction.

jams o donnell said...

Thanks Ipanema. It's improving slowly but surely