29 December 2011

30, Ahem. Glorious Years


How could I have let Xmas pass without mentioning this.... but  cast yourself
back to The run up to Christmas of 1981. I was just back from my first term at Southampton University due to meet an old school friend and a couple of upper sixth girls from the Frances Bardsley school in Romford, whom we both through knew via the local CND group , for a drink at the Ship in Gidea Park (consorting with non catholic girls, oh the humanity!).

ONe of the gils asked if they could bring along a rather quiet friend of theirs.I was happy for this to happen as there was no intention on my part to go on the pull anyway... And lot the quite girl in question was very quiet, slim and with very long hair.... I was smitten at first sight!

30 years later she is sat not far from me watching a recording of an Armstrong and Miller sitcom. She still puts up with my missing the toilet, my farting in bed (although she can match fart for fart!) and the same old shit repeated over and over again!

Who knows we may go mad one day and tie the knot, but several circles of Hell will probably have to freeze over first....

16 comments:

CherryPie said...

I think you and the shy girl have already tied the knot in the traditional sense without any circles of Hell!

*hugs* to you both :-)

jams o donnell said...

Why thanks Cherie! Before she died Shirl's mum advised us to get engaged so we could shill some pressies out of the relatives!

Knatolee said...

A big congratulations! I love that picture of Shirl.

beakerkin said...

Don't go conventional after 30 years. What would Ted think

Tulloch said...

Congratatulations to both of you - that's the nicest thing I've read all Christmas!

Liz Hinds said...

Congratulations on your lovely and loving relationship. Love to you both. x

Francis Hunt said...

May you have (at least) another 30 years together!

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Awh Jams, proper romantic!

jams o donnell said...

Why thank you! Here's to another 30 years of annoying SHirl!

Stan said...

Congrats to you both, Jams!

SnoopyTheGoon said...

Hey, thirty years is a pretty good record for a not-marriage.

Congrats.

jams o donnell said...

Stan, Snoopy, Thanks!

Unknown said...

That is a beautiful portrait. When you mention Shirley, I always think of Billy Bragg's song of the same name! :-)

That is a long time to be with someone - really amazing.

jams o donnell said...

Why thank you Gina!

Syncopated Eyeball said...

Oh my goodness! Well done the pair of you! x x

jams o donnell said...

Why thank you Syncy!