09 December 2011

warts and all

I have an expression which I  use rather often in relation to people who have image problems. and that is "stop looking in the ugly mirror". It probably is  not an original - perhaps I picked it up somewhere, I can't remember.

But it's been an appropriate, if not desperately polite thing to say to peopleI have met who dwell on trivial body imperfections -- people who can see a comedo  (blacjhed) and think it's a caldera!

But then I am a person who does not practice what i preach and this is why I prefer to be behind a camera. It is high time to change this and stop looking in the ugly mirror myself, hence the recent photos. I don't pretend the photos are pretty but they capture aspects of my body, hair, scars and psoriasis.

It is high time I explored my own body imperfections

12 comments:

Claude said...

I'm a nurse. I had 38 years of experience taking care of people's body. I loved bedside nursing, making sick people comfortable and well again, or easing the passage from life to death. Now I'm dealing with my own ageing body.

Till now, in my long lifetime, I have NEVER, yet, seen an ugly body.

You look beautiful, Jams, warts and all. And so do I...wrinkles and all.

Claude said...

There is no perfection anywhere in the world. And the word "ugly" belongs to some people's actions.

jams o donnell said...

And Perfect beauty is an illusion, or if not an illusion we have seven billion people on the planet and 7 billion perceptions

Claude said...

And you see the ugliness of the mind on the face, no matter how hard people work to hide it.

jams o donnell said...

Now that is very true Claude!

CherryPie said...

I have always found taking self portraits very therapeutic for lots of reasons.

Taking them also makes me smile trying just to get the right angle you wanted, it is so much easier to do that when you are photographing someone else.

True beauty shines from within, it is our thoughts and consciousness where this can be seen. The body is only a shell.

Steve Bates said...

jams, you are a site for psoriasis! Oops... I mean, a sight for sore eyes!

We are what we are, each and every one of us, and we look how we look. Thank Dog we're not all the same!

I don't want to be able to appear in a men's clothing ad, no matter what the kind of clothing. That evokes unreasonable expectations.

jams o donnell said...

THat is so true Cherie. It doesn't matter if a man is ripped and has a six pack or a woman has pert breasts and no cellulite if they are ugly inside. No external beauty will make up for that.

jams o donnell said...

Steve your puns get worse!I am glad we are different. Who would want to be a muscle bound himbo anyway!

Claude said...

Himbo??? I learn new words everyday with you, Jams!

Syncopated Eyeball said...

Good for you, Jams. I'm loving all this. x

jams o donnell said...

why thank you Nursie!