13 December 2011

Treaty - Yothu Yindi



Well I heard it on the radio
And I saw it on the television
Back in 1988
All those talking politicians
Words are easy, words are cheap
Much cheaper than our priceless land
But promises can disappear
Just like writing in the sand

Treaty Yeah Treaty Now
Treaty Yeah Treaty Now

Nhima Djatpangarri nhima walangwalang -
Nhe Djatpayatpa nhima gaya nhe-
Matjini.... Yakarray - nhe Djat'pa nhe walang - Gumurrtijararrk Gutjuk -

This land was never given up
This land was never bought and sold
The planting of the Union Jack
Never changed our law at all

Now two rivers run their course
Separated for so long
I'm dreaming of a brighter day
When the waters will be one

Treaty Yeah Treaty Now Treaty Yeah Treaty Now
Treaty Yeah Treaty Now Treaty Yeah Traty Now

Nhima djatpa nhe walang
gumurrtjararrk yawirriny Nhe gaya nhe matjini
Gaya nhe matjini Gaya gaya nhe gaya nhe
Matjini walangwalang Nhema djatpa nhe walang - Nhe gumurrtjarrk nhe ya-

Promises - Disappear - Priceless land - Destiny -

Well I heard it on the Radio - And I saw it on the Television
Just like writing in the sand

Treaty Yeah
Treaty Now ...

5 comments:

Syncopated Eyeball said...

I love this song. I hated 1988. The so called bicentennial of 'Australia'. Celebrating a day of brutal invasion makes me sick.

jams o donnell said...

It's a great song; I did like it when Mark Ella came over with an aborigine cricket team. I think it was the same year

Steve Bates said...

What a splendid, heartfelt song, superbly well-produced!

Didgeridoo is to my ears a haunting sound like no other.

Anonymous said...

I saw Yothu Yindi perform live for free many years ago. The crowd went wild

jams o donnell said...

It'sa damn good song Steve. Glad you like it!

I can imagine they did Nursie Would love to have seen them myself