11 May 2012

Olympic Sculpture Officially Unveiled



 Artist's impression of the Orbital

Anish Kapoor's the Orbit (sorry that should be the the ArcelorMittal Orbit) is officially unveiled today at the Stratford Olympic Park (not that it was kept under a very large tarpaulin or something).
At nearly 115m it is Britain's tallest sculpture. The winding steel shape has been designed to incorporate the five Olympic rings. It's latticework and colour have drawn unflattering comparisons, such as to a "catastrophic collision between two cranes".

It is expected that the Orbit will attract an estimated 1 million visitors to Stratford's Olympic Park annually.Tickets to the viewing platform will cost £15 for adults and £7 for children.



Hmm I am in two minds about Anish Kapoor's work. Some I like, a lot I don't.  I did quite like his installations in Hyde Park (above) when I visited last year. Do I like the Orbit? I'm not sure, will I pay the money to see sweeping vistas of East London? I can do that for free from Tyler's Common in Upminster!

6 comments:

susan said...

It boggles the mind what some town councils will find funding for.

jams o donnell said...

This ones been paid for out of the Olympics cost

Claude said...

Catastrophic...?????

jams o donnell said...

I'm not sure about that Claude. It may be

CherryPie said...

From the artists impression it doesn't do a lot for me...

jams o donnell said...

The more I look at pictures of it, the less I am impressed myself Cherie