25 February 2008

Another outing for a much loved joke

I'm too tired to do a post that requires me to tax my brain so why not wheel out my all time favourite Irishman joke. I love it for the sting in its tail:

In the days before the Celtic tiger was even a cub an Irishman came to London looking for work. He went to a building site where the Foreman told him that he could have a job if he could answer this one simple question, namely:

"What is the difference between a girder and a joist"

The Irishman looked the foreman in the face and said:

"That's simple. Girder wrote Faust and Joist wrote Ulysses"

Ayethangyou!

9 comments:

TN said...

Pffffft. Not heard that before.

Have one of these - http://howlingspoons.blogspot.com/2008/02/nice-beaver.html - ;)

Liz Hinds said...

Excellent!

Frank Partisan said...

I have a Polish joke: What does a Polish bride get on her wedding night, that is long and hard?

A new last name.

jams o donnell said...

Thanks Poons!

Glad you like it Liz!

Haha Ren, Good one!

Anonymous said...

Lol...

I just e-mailed that to my Irish hubby!

jams o donnell said...

Glad you liked it!

frog ponds rock... said...

hehehehehe...

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I should have girded myself up for that one.

I never heard that Celtic tiger metaphor before. My mom always says, "Back when Hector was a pup." She also has something about Metheusela.

jams o donnell said...

It's what the huge leap in Ireland's economy over the last 15 years is called EWBL. Ireland is now, per capita, one of the wealthiest nations on earth