18 February 2008

A listed privy

Why should I be remotely interested that a small oak weather boarded structure in Benenden, Kent is set to de declared a Grade II listed building this week? The weather boarded structure in question located close to an attractive Georgian farmhouse happens to be a toilet.

The official report by English Heritage for the Department of Culture declares it "a rare surviving example of a late 18th century privy, even rarer because it is a three-seater

"It is the most glorious little building," its proud owner said. "It faces towards the evening sun, and it is the most delightful place to sit in the evening with a glass of wine and the door open, and just be peaceful and think." The owner adds that that it is no longer in practical use, though she suspects it was in until the 1960s.

The privy is believed to date from 1775, when the main house was rebuilt after a fire. Although dozens of privies have been listed, most are Victorian. Three-seaters are very rare.

A three-seater toilet? I suppose in those days families were far more communal, sharing duties and also sharing necessities... I wonde if it’s safe to say that the family that lays cable together stays together?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made us a two-seater when we were on the island. Wet and Dry - if you follow.
A.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

They were building a monument to family closeness using logs.

We should lock enemies in there to hash out their differences while in such a vulnerable state! All men are equal while pooping. Think of it, Middle East peace could be reached!

CFD Ed said...

Elasticwastebandlady, Thunderbox diplomacy... sadly it sounds 'dare I say it' ;-) like a crap idea.

It would almost certainly cause a stink in diplomatic circles...

Better dump it.

The Lone Beader® said...

I have never heard of such a thing!

jams o donnell said...

Ah Aileni. Quite a necessity on the island eh?

Hmm does this add a new dimension to Lincoln logs EWBL?

Phil, EWBL the idea of toilet diplomacy. Perhaps they can curl out resolutions!

Now you have LB!

Steve Bates said...

Here is another privy ("outhouse" as we call them across the pond) that shows one reason why I am a union member.

jams o donnell said...

Hah Steve Isn't that true! Why I am a union member in good standing too!

CFD Ed said...

Jams, I can tell this is clearly an attempt to paper over the diplomatic cracks and cover ass- though I am not privy to your full plan it can only cause a stench in the nostrils of all the world…

jams o donnell said...

On the contrary I can see future negotiations in multiple privvies will end with a declaration in which a world leader will hold a piece of paper in hand and declare clean ring-piece in our time... I'll get my coat!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I remember seeing some of these on a tour my parents took me on of north Wales [many years ago, I must add!] Even then, I couldn't think of anything more horrible than sharing this necessity!

jams o donnell said...

I'm with you on that one Welshcakes. The toilet is a place for necessary body functions but also a place to enjoy a good book. I come from a family of inveterate toilet bookworms!

Liz Hinds said...

I've heard of two-seaters but never three-seaters!

When Younger Son had piles, the doctor told him not to read on the toilet! It hasn't stopped him though.

Sean Jeating said...

Well, three-seaters are quite nice for solving trilateral problems. For multilateral plenary debates, though, ancient Roman latrines like this one seem but a bit more suitable.

jams o donnell said...

Ah Liz, toilet readers would not be deterred by the mere case of Sigmunds!

THe old Roman toilets are marvellous. THey wiped with a sponge soaked in vinegar. There's a well preserved crapper at Housesteads on Hadrian's Wall