24 February 2007

While on the subject of God Save the Queen

It is my only regret that the story that God Save the Queen originates from a French hymn composed to wish Louis XIV a speedy recovery from arse surgery is apocryphal! As I said in my previous post I think the song is a tedious dirge. If the UK is going to have a national anthem it should be lively and make people feel good about living here. 20 years ago Billy Connolly did a piece about replacing God Save the Queen with Barwick Green, the theme tune to the Archers (a long running radio soap):



Rumty tumty tumty tum... Billy has a point!

7 comments:

Matt M said...

I prefer this:

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/goldanthem/

jams o donnell said...

Not a bad choice but I think we can do better than Spandau Ballet! Perhaps Spinal Tap's the Majesty of Rock.. or perhaps not.. Good Morning Britain by Aztec Camera perhaps...

Steve Bates said...

Please see my longer comment about the allegedly French origin of GStQ, on your thread below about the DPRK anthem. A pox on all national anthems; I live in a country where about 1 percent of the population can actually manage the range of the anthem.

Steve Bates said...

Oh, and Billy Connolly's routine is a hoot!

Anyone ever thought about "Give Peace a Chance" as the anthem? no? I didn't think so!

jams o donnell said...

Thanks for that comment Steve, it is much apreciated and very informative. I always suspected the story about the arse surgery was apocryphal but it did amuse me to think the anthem came from that!

The Bollu Connolly skecch is hilariousm eh?

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I'll use the more lighthearted post here to tell you that I heard another Sparks song yesterday called, "I Predict." It was really funny, and then I realized that musically, Sparks is not my favorite group. But lyrically, they're a riot.

jams o donnell said...

Excellent I love I predict.. You'll be loving Sparks yet Ewbl.. Who couldn't love Angst in My Pants or Amateur Hour?