13 August 2007

50 of my favourite albums

I saw a 50 favourite albums list over at Some Random Thoughts and I decided to set out my own hideous choice. The only rules I set myself were no compilations and I must own the album. The list is in no particular order, although Space Ritual and Underwater Moonlight are possibly my two favourite albums



Space Ritual – Hawkwind

Underwater Moonlight – the Soft Boys

Nadir’s Big Chance – Peter Hammill

Seventeen Seconds – the Cure

I Often Dream of Trains – Robyn Hitchcock

The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust.. – David Bowie

Warehouse: Songs and Stories – Husker Du

Tenement Symphony – Marc Almond

London Calling – the Clash

Kimono My House – Sparks


Ocean Rain – Echo & the Bunnymen

Quark, Strangeness and Charm – Hawkwind

Underwater Moonlight – the Soft Boys

Moving Pictures – Rush

The Burning World – Swans

Daydream Nation – Sonic Youth

The Garden – John Foxx

As Above, So Below – Bedouin

Captain Lockheed and the StarfightersRoberl Calvert

Horses – Patti Smith


It’s Alive – The Ramones

Iron Maiden – Iron Maiden

Levitation – Hawkwind

Jewels for Sophia – Robyn Hitchcock

Flip Your Wig – Husker Du

Shoot out the Lights – Richard and Linda Thompson

Murder Ballads – Nick Cave

Deadwing – Porcupine Tree

Roky Erickson and the Aliens – Roky Erickson & the Aliens

Key Lime Pie – Camper van Beethoven


Fegmania – Robyn Hitchcock

HawklordsHawklords

Sabotage – John Cale

Master of Reality – Black Sabbath

The Stooges – The Stooges

Yemenite Songs – Ofra Haza

Skins and Hearts – The Church

Stoneage Romeos – Hoodoo Gurus

Jehovakill – Julian Cope


Mask - Bauhaus

When I was a Boy – Jane Siberry

Lust for Life - Iggy Pop

Heroes- David Bowie

Ultravox! - Ultravox

Stockholm ’67 - The Electric Prunes

Peggy Suicide – Julian Cope

Abattoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus - Nick Cave

The Holy Bible – Manic Street Preachers

Dolittle – The Pixies


Ah well that killed some time. I'm at home today with a lost voice. The not -wife is delighted...

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only albums I own from that list are:

Kimono My House – Sparks

Abattoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus - Nick Cave

jams o donnell said...

And two fine albums they are Roger. "It would be boring if we all liked the same stuff" may sound like a cliche but it holds true

Frederick said...

I must compliment you on your taste, sir.

jams o donnell said...

Ah you must be must be a man of impeccable taste yourself!

JRD168 said...

I own and enjoy seven of those, but must confess to having never heard a few more. Bedouin? Robert Calvert? Think I need more of an education - have you got a few more clips to put up?

Anonymous said...

Correction: I also own 'Heroes'.

jams o donnell said...

Robert Calvert and Bedouin are Hawkwind related. Bedouin are dead and buried and were a side line of a former bassist. It was an excellent album.

Robert Calvert will be subject of a longer post soon. He played with Hawkwind too and had a solo career. He died in 1988. My avatar is Calvert himself

jams o donnell said...

It's an excellent album, Heroes

Anonymous said...

You have some music in common with Chris actually, but I like the Clash and the Stooges.

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Wow that is quite a list there!

How's the voice btw? Whenever I lose mine I get so much gip from people... Its as if I talk a lot the rest of the time...

**whistles**

jams o donnell said...

The Clash and the Stooges were great Alison - I never got to see the Clash sadly. I wonder if it is worth catchiing the reformed Stooges.

I suppose my listening was formed in around 1980, I loved ppunk and new wave but also the NWOBHM bands around at the time. Hawkwind were the first band I ever saw.

I would imagine some people would cringe at my slection Lisa but I like it! The throat is a little better. I have antibiotics which are helping.

ARSES! I bloody forgot Bill Nelson's Red Music

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I heard Balloon Man just this morning!

I have Sting's and The Fixx's Greatest Hits among my most favorite CD's. Can we still be friends?

jams o donnell said...

Now, no swallowing marshmallows and juming off the Empire State Ewbl!

Sting and the Fixx? well life would be dull if we liked the same stuff. Please tell me it's not his lute stuff!

Anonymous said...

Only Tenement Symphony. Maybe the Ultravox. I certainly have a Ultravox album.

jams o donnell said...

Ah I am a barbarian when it comes to music Gert!