02 August 2007

Lembit Opik has no wish to be London Mayor non-story


Liberal Democrat MP Lembit Opik says he has no intention of standing to be the party's candidate for mayor of London. The MP for Montgomeryshire replied that he was "flattered... Me, Boris and Ken would be a splendid contest". But he later told the BBC that he had decided against entering the race. "It's ever so flattering. If I was a London MP I would stand like a shot. The only issue is my constituency is 205 miles away”


Mr Opik is currently the Lib Dem spokesman on business, has had a long-term interest in the risk to Earth from meteorites. But he has filled many tabloid pages over the past year as a result of the ending of his engagement to weather presenter Sian Lloyd and subsequent relationship with Gabriela Irimia from the Cheeky Girls (not one of Romania's finest cultural exports).


To be honest I have a soft spot for Lembit but not soft enough to vote for him if he stood for mayor..It says a lot about the UK’s fixation on C-list celebrities that he is famous for his choice of girlfriend rather than his track record as an MP. Oh to hell with the po-faced stance. This post was merely an excuse for a gratuitous photo of Opik and the Cheeky Girls. Yes. I’m shallow too...

7 comments:

Shaz said...

I wouldn't vote for him either due to the same C-list reasons! There's a "Slug Attack" post for you over at our place, hope it helps but probably wont help with the elimination of opposition candidates . . . .lol x

Anonymous said...

Lembit's such a cheeky boy.

jams o donnell said...

Got to fgive the grapefruit treatment a try!

Lembit is a pleasant sort of guy but I wouldn't vote for him Shaz. Cheeky indeed Roger. I daresay many, many men are jealous though!

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Well Gopher from The Love Boat is a State Senator, I think. Cooter from the Dukes Of Hazard is a representative. Fred Thompson, Arnold Schwarzenegger, and the list goes on....

Cheeky Girls, huh? Right now my very guilty pleasure is a Romanian singer named Morandi. Check out his harem video for 'La Lujeba.' I'd link it but my computer is running so freakin slow.

jams o donnell said...

I'll give it a look Ewbl. It had better be cheesy though!

Steve Bates said...

Well, his g.f.'s could stand a bit less eyeshadow, but I doubt I'd vote for him, either, even if they were the proverbial girls-next-door.

From what I've seen, if I were a UK citizen, I'd probably be hard to divert from Labour candidates. Indeed, I might formally join that party.

jams o donnell said...

Been a member of the party for 23 years now Steve. The first time I ahd the chance to vote (1981), I voted liberal but it's been Labour all the way since.