16 August 2007

Herbsttag (Poppy)




Herbsttag

Lord: it is time. The summer was immense,
Lay your shadow on the sundials
and let loose the wind in the fields.

Bid the last fruits to be full;
give them another two more southerly days,
press them to ripeness, and chase
the last sweetness into the heavy wine.

Whoever has no house now will not build one anymore.
Whoever is alone now will remain so for a long time,
will stay up, read, write long letters,
and wander the avenues, up and down,
restlessly, while the leaves are blowing.


Rainer Maria Rilke, Paris, September 21, 1902


I originally posted the poppy photo just a few days ago. I can thank Redwine for drawing this beautiful Rilke to my attention and suggesting that they go nicely together. She's quite right

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, are you secretly an opium farmer or even worse......a manufacturer of poppy seed salad dressing??!!?

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I call my man, Papi. It's pronounced the same way as Poppy, but he gets irritated when I call him my little flower.

Anonymous said...

lol @ ewbl.

Do you water your flowers Jams?? ;-)

jams o donnell said...

Ach crap happy mama, I only have one poppy and that blew in. I suppose I could hook a couple of ants on the production!

LOL never call your man a little flower.. you should know by now we want BIG blowers.. He will be happy iof compared to a Sunflower that's full of seed!

I don't but the not wife does Alison!