01 November 2008

The oldest cornea?

SCROLL DOWN FOR PHOTO HUNT

Bernt Aune is the proud possessor of what is almost certainly the oldest cornea in the world. The 80-year-old Norwegian and former ambulance driver’s cornea is 123 years old, “This is the oldest eye in Norway — I don’t know if it’s the oldest in the world,” he said “But my vision’s not great any longer.”


Aune had a cornea transplanted into his right eye in 1958 from the body of an elderly man who was born in June 1885. The operation was carried out at Namsos Hospital, mid-Norway. “I wouldn’t be surprised if this is the oldest living organ in the world,” eye doctor Hasan Hasanain at Namsos hospital told the Norwegian daily Verdens Gang.

In the 1950s, doctors expected it to work for just five years, Hasanain said. Such cornea operations date back to the early 20th century and were among the first successful transplants. (the first successful hunan corneal transplant took place in 1906)

The cornea is therefore older than either of Jeanne Calment’s. She was 122 old when she died.

This is one tough cornea... good news for me given that it is very possible that I may require a corneal transplant imyself at some stage

11 comments:

Amazing Gracie said...

Holy Cow! Isn't the body fantastic? I came to check out your photo but this caught my eye. A very interesting bit of life...

SabineM said...

wow how interesting!

jams o donnell said...

Thanks I;m glad you found this interesting

The Lone Beader® said...

That is amazing, Jams!

jams o donnell said...

It certainly is LB!

jmb said...

That is almost unbelievable given that it was probably a pretty primitive technique by today's standard. Maybe I have something useful to donate when I pop off after all. I have always assumed no one would want any of my old organs.

jams o donnell said...

It really is amazig isn't it. I thought I would ahve something to give with my corneas but then I found I had serious problems with them!

James Higham said...

Couldn't see the whole post - eye troubles.

jams o donnell said...

Haha James// or are you serious?

CherryPie said...

That is quite amazing.

jams o donnell said...

It is isn't it Cherie?