28 July 2010

The end is nigher than we thought

Don’t worry about 2012, we won’t last that long if Maria Exley of Colorado Springs is to be believed.

According the Colorado Springs Gazette she is convinced that the end of the world will come next year. So strong is her conviction that she’s paid $1,200 to buy advertising space on 10 Springs bus benches through October to get the word out. The ad says, “Save the Date! Return of Christ: May 21, 2011, WeCanKnow.com.”

Exley got the idea for the ads from listening to Family Radio, a Christian broadcast hosted by controversial Christian leader Harold Camping. Camping predicts Christ will return on the date in Exley’s advertisement. Listeners in other states have also purchased outdoor ad space to proclaim the date.

The ads are written and designed by the creators of WeCanKnow.com, an Ohio-based web site devoted to reminding people of Christ’s return. “We hope it raises awareness and sends people to their Bible,” said Robert Dunham, spokesman for WeCanKnow.com.

“Time is running out, but there is still time for salvation.”

Well that’s me convinced. Henceforth I will abjure my sinful ways. No more frottage, felching or other foul fornication for me. No more strong liquor, swearing or sinful thoughts. From now on it’s prayer and penance all the way.... Ah fuck it I’ll stay damned!

11 comments:

Liz Hinds said...

And I wonder who's making the money out of this!

jams o donnell said...

The mind boggles Liz!

Anonymous said...

I wonder if Maria is any relation to Mandy of the same name? They seem to have a similar grasp of reality!

feefifoto said...

Is nigher a word?

jams o donnell said...

I have no idea who you are talking about anonymous

It is now feefifoto!

Sean Jeating said...

Obviously: the lady is promising us a cunning stunt.
Ahem ...

jams o donnell said...

Well a stunt if not that cunning Sean!

susan said...

I think I'll just have another drink.

jams o donnell said...

A wise move Susan!

Claude said...

Believe and do what you wish, Jams. But I packed my toothbrush, and a few candy bars for the trip. Don't want to be caught unaware.

jams o donnell said...

Haha you are wiser than I Claude!