27 June 2012

The case of the Cathedral licker

IOnce again I can thank the Fortean Times Breaking News section for this strange story.

According to the   York Press Lawrence Edmonds is on a quest to lick every cathedral in the country . In a pub bet the 26-year-old from York was challenged by his friend Adam to complete the task in two years, or otherwise run naked round York Minster.

If he succeeds in licking every Anglican cathedral in the UK, his friend must do the streak instead.
Edmonds started his quest at Norwich Cathedral, but says Lichfield Cathedral in the Midlands tasted best, with the reddened sandstone beautifully warm on the tongue, while Wakefield tasted revolting.
The English Heritage worker said a visit to York Minster had completed his task in England, but he still had another 20 in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland to visit.


I wonder what conversation brought aout the bet. I would love to have been a fly on the wall at that pub session!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's the thing about cathedrals eh? Who can resist giving them a good lick? Resisting that is like having a fruit pastille in your mouth and trying not to chew (a challenge I have never succeeded in despite many youthful attempts). Mind you, I've never licked a cathedral yet. What strong willpower I have shown in that regard eh? Impressed?

susan said...

Trust you to find this particular piece of strangeness.

jams o donnell said...

Not even a little taste of a cathedral? You have such willpower Andrew!

I bet you are glad I found it Susan!

Stan said...

I like cathedrals and all, but there are limits. Not sure I'd fancy being a fly on the wall in that pub, either: I might end up licked, chameleon-style.

jams o donnell said...

Haha Stan!

SnoopyTheGoon said...

Hm... wouldn't he die of some catchy disease first? Must be a risky business that, licking all kind of places.

jams o donnell said...

Or a taste of Godliness!