08 June 2012

Good News: A double hand transplant in Mexico

The  Independent that a Mexican man whose arms were severely burned in an electrical
accident has become the first patient in Latin America to receive a double arm transplant.


Gabriel Granados, a 52-year-old father of two whose arms were amputated just below the elbow  received the arms of a 34-year-old shooting victim.


Mr Granados said the transplant was "terrific" and that he had begun to feel his new hands.
"This is wonderful that after being without hands for some time, all of a sudden I see new hands," said Mr Granados, an agent in the financial unit of Mexico City's prosecutors' office.
The surgery was in early May, but Mr Granados was discharged from the hospital last night. Doctors said he has recovered well.

Mr Granados' arms were amputated in January 2011 after they were badly burned when he received an electrical shock while giving instructions to a group of construction workers building a fence.


"This is a very special day for Mexico from a scientific point of view," said Dr Fernando Gabilondo, director of Mexico City's National Institute of Medical Science and Nutrition Salvador Zubiran, where the surgery took place.

Yes I know that hand transplants even double ones are not new. Successful transplants have been taking plance since the turn of the millennium. Still I fancied posting some good news.

8 comments:

Claude said...

And I fancied hearing the good news. Thanks, Jams. This is quite an achievement!

Sometimes, I give up on the world. And I want to get off. I don't mind hearing of the ridiculous. Often, it makes me laugh. But the evil really burdens my spirit. I tend to forget that there are good, hard working people, in every area, trying to solve some of our problems.

jams o donnell said...

Sometimes we need good news to balance things.

SnoopyTheGoon said...

Good news indeed.

jams o donnell said...

Definitely!

susan said...

Well, I for one didn't know hand transplants were possible so it was extra good news for me to read this. Of course, I also have to feel some sympathy for the donor.

jams o donnell said...

Agreed about the donor but in death he helped someone to a better life. I hope that is some comfort to his family

Anonymous said...

a heartening story. Unlike that NZ guy who had a hand transplant a few years ago

nursemyra

jams o donnell said...

That one ended in tears didn't it