12 June 2012

Proof that Americans are big headed

National Geographic carries a small news item that proves what a lot of non Americans have suspected for a ling time... that Americans are big headed.

Apparently new measurements of hundreds of skulls of white Americans born between 1825 and 1985 suggest that their typical height has grown by eight millimeters. Thistranslates to roughly a tennis ball's worth of new brain room.


"I can't guess the implications of this jump in cranial size, but other research shows a bigger cranium doesn't necessarily mean more intellect," said University of Tennessee biological anthropologist Richard Jantz who presented the findings with colleagues at an American Association for Physical Anthropology meeting in April.

Make of this what you will....

10 comments:

Claude said...

I lived in Texas in the 60s. Everything there was bigger than anywhere else. Huge barbecues, big heart, intense heat...and big ego! I loved the people but in Houston, we were in direct line of the Cuban Missiles through the crisis. And then, JFK was killed. I was happy to leave that chaos and the heat for the quietness of the frozen Arctic.

jams o donnell said...

THat would be fun Gleds!

I think I would have preferred Arctic Canada during the Missile Crisis!

susan said...

Hopefully, their mothers all had caesarian sections.

jams o donnell said...

Indeed Susan!

Kay Dennison said...

The truly sad part about those large brains is that they mostly are not used -- as witness the Tea Party. (Who I consider a huge embarrassment) Sigh.

jams o donnell said...

That's true Kay!

SnoopyTheGoon said...

At least no one mentioned hamburgers...

jams o donnell said...

heaven forfend!

Kay Dennison said...

I'm prolly am weird (of which I am intensely proud) but I really don't care much for hamburgers. Give me corned beef anytime!!! (And no, I'm not Jewish.)

jams o donnell said...

Far tastier!