17 June 2012

Facing reality

My father is now 86 my mother is 84 next month and my last surviving uncle is 83 a few days later. On Thursday night my uncle was taken into hospital with sever abdominal pains. A scan has revealed gallstones which should be treated with little difficulty. He has further tests on Tuesday which should lead to  proper diagnosis

I am prety fortunate to be in a situation where both my parents are still alive but they look ever more frail. Dad has just given up driving and has taken his car off the road which means that it is down to me to take them shopig etc something I consider a tiny return for all they have given me over the years.

It does sadden me to see how my dad has diminished. He is not senile or anything like that but he seems to be a shadow of his former self. Such is life, such s aging. ...

12 comments:

CherryPie said...

I understand how you feel about seeing your parents aging, it is a difficult time.

Hopefully your Uncles treatment will see him well on the mend for many years yet.

Claude said...

Ageing is tough. I thought I would be much better at it than I am. I really slowed down a lot in the last 6 months. At 82, I finally accepted a walker and a cleaning lady. I use a special bus/cab service to take me places.

All my longtime friends are gone. I'm thankful to my son for teaching me how to use the Internet. And I credit blogs and Facebook friends for keeping me sane and cheerful. Thank you!

The medical world is doing miracles to help older people to be comfortable and functioning. We just have to accept the limitations and try to enjoy a quieter time.

My best wishes to your parents, and uncle.
P.S. Senior people should not have to prove that they're not robots.

James Higham said...

Yes Jams, I went through it too and it's not the nicest. Thoughts are with you.

Stan said...

I hope your uncle's procedure goes smoothly, Jams. Your parents are lucky to have you there to help them, as I'm sure you were lucky to have them.

jams o donnell said...

Thanks everyone.e should now tomorrow what the situation with my uncle is

Claude said...

You are all in my heart and prayers.

Kay Dennison said...

Hope it all goes well!!!

Bette Davis said it best: "Getting old ain't for sissies!"

jams o donnell said...

Thanks Claude. He will apreciate it very much

Haha even at 49 I am getting that feling Kay!

Kay Dennison said...

Awwwwwwww shucks, you're just a pup! LOL

jams o donnell said...

Aye I suppose I'm a sprog!

susan said...

I wish you and your dear parents and uncle many more happy years together.

jams o donnell said...

Here's hoping Susan!