23 September 2009


According to the BBC Iranian police have warned shopkeepers not to display female mannequins without a hijab, or showing bodily curves. Displays of bow ties and neckties, and the sale of women's underwear by men are also banned.

"Un-Islamic behaviour" has been targeted since President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's first election in 2005. "Using unusual mannequins exposing body curves and with heads without hijabs [Muslim veils] are prohibited to be used in the shops," police said i

Ach there goes my dream of selling Janet Reger knickers in Tehran. Is there a point to this post? Well it does further wreck my chance of getting an Iranian visa I suppose. Oh and it does give me the chance to post stock photos of mannequins...

11 comments:

SnoopyTheGoon said...

Hey, that one on the left in the first picture - it rings a bell.

But you could model hijabs in Iran, you know. Not all is lost.

TorAa said...

Reminds of Kurt Vonnegut:
"If Slivovitsj was for free, then nobody would be intersted in Religion".

Or:
If everyone could have free sex, the people in power would have lost their jobs

---
say no more

James Higham said...

Not sure I like the headless ones, Jams.

jmb said...

How can they wear hijab when they have no heads? Confused as usual. Bow ties and neckties? Too Western? Sigh. I'll never understand that lot.

Claude said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jams o donnell said...

Hijab stylkes for the aestheially hallenged woman.. I oold be that model!

Now there's a thought Tor!

They were caught not weiring scarves James

It's all a bit dact isn't it jmb. To be honest I have no problem with the hijab or any non-face covering dress.. just so long as the person who wears it does so of their own volition.

Mac the Knife said...

"Oh and it does give me the chance to post stock photos of mannequins..."

Ooooo-kay...

jams o donnell said...

Well it was an opportunity to do so!

Susan English Mason said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susan English Mason said...

I'm sorry I spoiled your perfect comment box but my typing was impaired by my laughter.

OK Jams you finally did it. I showed this one around. I can't decide which part was funnier - the part about losing your chance to get a visa versus having an excuse to post photos of stock mannequins. Just look at how the last one is posing definitely too hot for ACH.

jams o donnell said...

I'm glad you liked it Pouty Lips! Seriously I would like to visit Iran. I have made friends with a number of artists who I would like to see on their home turf