25 August 2010

Note to Mary Bale: when in a hole stop digging

There is no way that I would put Mary Bale on a par with the evil bastard James Chesney and there is no way I would condone death threats against the cat binner but it was a cruel and nasty act against an animal that clearly just wanted a bit of affection. I’m not sure that trying to justify or minimise the act is a sensible move though.

"I really don't see what everyone is getting so excited about. It's just a cat," Bale is reported to have said. "I was walking home from work and saw this cat wander out in front of me. I was playing with it, stroking it and listening to it purr as it stood on a garden wall. It was very friendly.

"I don't know what came over me, but I suddenly thought it would be funny to put it in the wheelie bin, which was right beside me. I did it as a joke because I thought it would be funny. I never thought it would be trapped. I expected it to wriggle out of the bin."

"To think this video is being seen around the world is unbelievable. I'm a very private person and don't want to upset any members of my family. I don't know what my relatives will think, but to be honest I think everyone's overreacting a bit.

"OK, I shouldn't have done it, but it's just a cat at the end of the day. I don't think I deserve to be hated by people all over the world, it was just a split second of madness."

Err this is a country with a lot of public and private CCTVs and a communications system that can transfer information across the world in moments. A bit of grovelling contrition and perhaps a big donation to the Cats Protection League would probably have been a far wiser course of action.

If it had been one of my cats that was dumped in a bin I would have been bloody furious ( a hell of a lot more pissed off than I was when my car was stolen a few months back). Still I would like to see Mary Bale try to put Ted into a wheelie bin and avoid a trip to casualty with some heavy duty clawing!

14 comments:

Sean Jeating said...

Actually, after watching the vid you posted yesterday, I was close to write basically your last sentence here.
However, then I thought it might not be taken as funny.
It was interesting to read some comments on youtube. Almost an empiric example for the mindset of not but a few contemporaries.
Finally, why would the lady feel uncomfortable about her 'famous 15 seconds'? After all, she's just a member of homo insapiens at the end of the day, isn't she?

A Doubtful Egg said...

Her reaction is pretty shocking, isn't it? No "I'm really sorry, it was a moment of madness after I'd had a really shit day" or whatever, but simply "what's everyone bothered about, it's just a cat." It was an extremely nasty, cruel, petty thing to do. There's no excuse for cruelty to other living things, whether human or animal. If she didn't want the unwelcome attention, perhaps she shouldn't have done it in the first place...

Claude said...

Well...What can I say? What is there to worry about?

It's only a cat! she says. The others say: It's only a 3-month-foetus! It's only a starving child in Africa! It's only a dead young soldier killed in a useless war! It's only a protestor in Iran! It's only Roma people sent back from France to the hell of their country! It's only a man of God abusing a small child! It's only a jihad stoning an adultress!

I could continue, ad infinitum. It's the world we live in. It's the nature of the human beast. Let me go back to my little lake in the wood, and listen to soothing music.

When I die, I'm returning as a cat, and I'll find that woman. May God has mercy on her soul!

Claude said...

Of course, she doesn't have a soul! And there is no hell.

jams o donnell said...

There you go Sean, she would not survive an ecounter with Ted unscathed. As for some of the reactions now they are bloody stupid

That is well put Egg. She shouldn't have done it

I know what you mean Claude it isn't on par with any of these acts but where do you draw the line? If you want to come back as a cat Claude you will have a very comfortable berth chez moi et la femme qui n'est pas la femme!

Claude said...

Cruelty to defenseless people often starts by cruelty to defenseless animals.

With your promise to shelter me, I'm ready to go now. Paradis sur terre! It's worth dying for...

CherryPie said...

I don't know how she can come out with such rubbish. She was looking furtive in the video and obviously knew she shouldn't have been acting that way! She looked all around to see if she was being rushed, dumped the kitty and rushed off...

nursemyra said...

She just doesn't get it does she?

jams o donnell said...

you are quite right.. look at the number of serial killers who started off torturing animals. Not that Mary Bale is to be equated but it is often seen

As for the offer it stands. The not-wife's lap can always take one more furry fiend!

jams o donnell said...

I know Cherie, it didn't look a spur of the moment action did it

She just doesn't Nursie!

Liz Hinds said...

A simple apology would have been a lot better! And maybe the 'It's my hormones' excuse!

Like Ted, Daughter's cat would have made her regret her action.

jams o donnell said...

Absolutely Liz, she should have apologised there and then

SnoopyTheGoon said...

Oh, so the lady has a name. Good. Now into the bin with her...

jams o donnell said...

A fitting response Snoopy, There is vengeance video on the net!