07 August 2010

This week's avatar is...

the inimitable Sergeant Pluck from Flann O'Brien's "Sistine Chapel" The Third Policeman

Sergeant Pluck is a man with a mission and that is to save the world from the awful consequences of Atomic Theory -the intermingling of human and other atoms. As Sergeant Pluck says:

"The gross and net result of it is that people who spent most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycle."

Sergeant Pluck dedicates his life to confiscating bicycles form the people of his parish. It is for their own good after all!

He should have been guesting for Robert Calvert last week but had to deal with an urgent outbreak of velocipedes in my home town of Corkadoragha, We thank the Sea Bishop for finding time from his busy timetable of terror and standing in at short notice

12 comments:

Sergeant Pluck said...

I'm pleased, Jams O'Donnell Esq.! From now on I shall not rest until with help of the essential inherent interior essence which is hidden in the root of the kernel of everything the last atom of a bicycle has been drivelled ... err: driven outside your head.

Sean Jeating said...

A fine avatar you have chosen, Jams. Sergeant Pluck is certainly precious a part of Omnium.

James Higham said...

you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycle

Dead right - I'm one of them.

jams o donnell said...

Thank you Sgt. I look forward to your personal attention

He is certainly that Sean!

James stand by for a visit from the good Sergeant

Claude said...

I'm grateful to be just an uninspired, mundane pedestrian. I'm safe!

jams o donnell said...

Just as well Claude or Sgt Pluck would be paying a visit to Canada!

CherryPie said...

I am really enjoying your guest avatars :-)

susan said...

His presence would be welcomed here in Portland where cyclists have come to believe they're Humvees.

SnoopyTheGoon said...

I certainly dig the idea. Why I stopped bicycling years ago. But then I am becoming one with my sofa!

jams o donnell said...

Glad you like it Cherie,

Some of the cyclists in London are like that too Susan

Ah I fear we suffer from the same ailment Snoopy!

Sean Jeating said...

This is a very interesting observation, Mr. Snoopy, Sir.

I was all the time wondering, why Mr. O'Donnell's cats almost imperceptible but significantly seem to mutate into feral sofas.

jams o donnell said...

Worse still I've caught my sofa stalking pigeons!