27 August 2010

Now a fatwa on pets

The Telegraph reports that Iranian authorities have banned all advertisements for pets, pet food and other pet products.

The decision by the Ministry of Culture and Islamic Guidance apparently comes after the fatwa was issued by powerful cleric Grand Ayatollah Nasser Makarem Shirazi.

In June, Ayatollah Shirazi declared dogs unclean, saying that dog owners were “blindly imitating the West” and that their devotion to the animals would result in “evil outcomes… Many people in the West love their dogs more than their wives and children,” he said.

I think that Ted, Greebo and Satan Cat may be paying an Ayatollah a little visit….

10 comments:

Nevin said...

This is just too comical....

Mojo said...

Well the imam isn't totally off base with some of this. Fact is I like my dog a lot better than either of my ex-wives.

As someone once said, "If you want to know who really loves you lock your dog and your wife in the boot of your car, then come back in an hour and see which one of them is actually happy to see you."

Where do you find this stuff? It's great!

jams o donnell said...

It's utterly risible, eh Nevin?

Haha... I think we know the answer to the joke Mojo!

Claude said...

I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry!

BTW, my cats and my dog were much cleaner than my boys. They were trained nearly instantly while I still had to change diapers for months.

Anonymous said...

That Grand Ayatollah was probably bitten by a rabid dog recently.

Or, maybe, not so recently.

James Higham said...

Fatwah on Ayatollahs?

jmb said...

I am truly amazed and horrified at this. I am sure it will be retracted, the companies will be going wild and lobbying like mad.

Muslims controlling things in the centre of Catholicism?

jams o donnell said...

Claude, we boys are never properly toilet trained!

It wouldn't surprise me Anonymous

And not a bad idea James

I daresay it will fall into abeyance after a while but it is pretty damned stupid!

SnoopyTheGoon said...

How the heck did I become Anonymous? Something broken in the intertubes...

jams o donnell said...

That's odd, mon ami!